Supermom Chronicles

Friday, January 12, 2007

Is God Trying to Tell Me Something?

I thought I would do a quick post to update everyone on life as I know it.

There are only 2 days of my maternity leave left. I return to the clinic on Monday. Yes, I'm a little nervous. I don't know if I'm more nervous about my return to work after 7 months of not practicing medicine or the fact that John will be at home all day with all 3 kids for the first time. I hope James isn't too hard on him; he's very much a Momma's boy (aren't all breastfed babies?). I get to become intimately acquainted with the lovely breastpump again. Gee, I can't wait. That thing is so mechanical; it just takes all the "nature" out of Mother Nature.

As far as my toe is concerned, I'm not entirely sure how that thing is doing. I tried again unsuccessfully to put my foot in my loosest clogs today. It hurts just standing there, much less trying to walk. So I guess I'll get to debut my ugly shoe at work next week. As I started up the stairs today I managed to partially stub my toes on the bottom stair. I felt my toe move unnaturally and cringed. Then it felt kinda funny for most of the rest of the day. By the time this is over, no telling which way it will be pointing. It's amazing how often we brush our toes against things and don't notice it (until one is broken). I'm so paranoid about the 10 other feet in this house, too. So far, Faith, Cole and Nutmeg (the beagle) have all managed to step on my foot despite my most defensive maneuvers. Most of the time I sit like a wounded animal with my lame foot positioned underneath me to protect it from everyone around me. I'll probably take an xray at work next week to see what in the world it looks like.

I try to scan the newspaper everyday. I'm not a big fan of the comics and generally refuse to read anything that is more than a single box ("Far Side" style). I just don't have the time to read through a multi-box/strip comic. Anyway, there is one exception to my rule. One of my favorite comic strips is "Baby Blues". I can so relate to these poor parents of 3 young children. We might as well laugh at the craziness of our life, right? Here's a quote from a couple of days ago that totally puts our life in perspective - it is very much what our life is like:

"The window of conversational opportunity continues to shrink..."(mom is carrying a wailing baby while dad is pulling the 2 toddlers the opposite direction) - as they pass in the hall, the mom says, "Remind me to finish the story I started to tell you this morning after the kids go to bed, but before I fall asleep or forget it altogether."

On a totally different note, I was doing dishes tonight when a realization suddenly struck: All the forces of nature have conspired to keep me from pursuing my career. First, I become surprisingly pregnant with complications that keep me on bedrest. Then I break my toe 1 week before my planned return to work. Then I watched the news tonight to find that the major cold front hitting this weekend will be accompanied by a lot of precipitation (the so-called "wintery mix"). The forecast predicts that ice accumulation will be at its worst on Monday morning - my first day back at work. Is God trying to tell me something??
posted by Joey at 11:15 PM

6 Comments:

You survived your first day of work, wintery weather and all. Sorry it wasn't a happier day to be at work, but we were happy to have you back!

6:02 PM  

The pictures of the kids are great! Did you wear the ugly shoe to work, after all? Maybe God was trying to tell you to just slow down, and give you a nice short (though sad) first day back.

That cartoon sounds funny. Even with just 2 kids, Anthony and I find we have to send eachother emails to really get anything of substance communicated. Isn't that sad? I mean, we do live together!

I am excited about your considering the triathlon with us! You could totally do it! Its definitely easier than wrangling 3 kids.

9:20 PM  

how funny...i just wrote about my fav. comic strip....Calvin and Hobbes.... it was so good to see you back at work. I am sorry that your first day back was a sad one. Well at least you had the next day off.

7:59 PM  

This back to work thing is really interfering with your blog writing...

8:07 PM  

HELLO? Hello hello
Echo echo echo

2:51 PM  

Just post SOMETHING. We all like the snowflakes, anyway.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home