Supermom Chronicles

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Don't cry over spilled candlewax

Through the 10 years of our marriage, John and I have been nomads. We have moved from town to town around central Texas. In doing so, we have found it difficult to find a church home. He was raised Catholic, I was raised Lutheran, and we never seemed to find the right church for both of us. We have actually attended more Baptist services over the past 10 years than anything. It seemed that we could always find a good Baptist church with an invigorating preacher no matter what town we were in. When we finally bought a house in Kyle (the house that I have no intention of ever moving from!), we finally set out in earnest to select a church that our family could join. We have happily begun attending Bethany Lutheran Church. I really like the pastors, the congregation that we have met thus far seems very nice, and they are large enough to have a well established children's ministry. It is really important to me to be able to raise our kids on a strong foundation. I hope that they will enjoy growing up in this church.

Two Sundays ago, we were thrilled to finally get Cole & James baptized. Faith was baptized at 3 months of age at my hometown Lutheran Church, but in all our moving we never got Cole baptized. They did so well. Cole was obviously a little concerned about the whole proceedings, but there was no crying or resisting. A quiet calm came over both the boys (thankfully...I prayed for that prior to the service). The only "outburst" came from Faith after church was over. We decided to stand near the baptismal candle and font for a family picture. Faith, however, backed right into the lit candle, spilling wax all over the carpeted floor near the altar. She burst out crying, she felt so bad. I felt sorry for her. One of the pastors walked by and kindly said, "It's ok, it happens all the time." I wonder if that was a little white lie he told right there in church! We tried to tell Faith it was no big deal (we were just happy we didn't catch the church on fire!), but you can see from this picture she was not too happy about the whole situation.

Afterwords, we invited all the family to come over for lunch and visiting. I bought some beautiful white and red tulips from Randalls to celebrate the day. I wish I could afford to always have fresh flower arrangements in my home. They bring so much beauty to the room and really brighten my day. So we are excited about finding a church that we like and are in the process of joining. Hopefully we'll make a lot of new friends and our children will grow up knowing God.
posted by Joey at 3:14 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home