Supermom Chronicles

Saturday, May 05, 2007

All in a Day's Work


First of all, I have to brag on my beautiful baby boy. He had his 6 month pictures taken at Kiddie Kandids last week, and they turned out awesome! He was in a great mood. Just about every shot taken by the photographer (who was really good) turned out great the first time. We did his photo shoot in just minutes. This is the easy age. I think after 6 months, it gets harder and harder to take kid pictures. They either won't cooperate (usually Cole's M.O.) or they won't smile (Faith's M.O.).


Here he is sitting up. We put him on this bench and he assumed this pose on his own. I think it's just precious! Yes, I'm biased. His development is taking me by surprise. On the day he turned 6 months he started crawling. Then 2 days later he was able to sit up on his own. One week later, he was pulling himself up to a stand on furniture. As of now he is 1 week away from turning 7 months, and he can already stand himself up easily (holding on to furniture) and take a few steps on his own (again, holding onto whatever he pulled up by). I guess he feels the need to keep up with big brother and sister. I'm just amazed. Actually, I'm a little sad. He is our last baby and he is just growing up a little too fast!

Last weekend we had Front Porch Days in Plum Creek. This is a 2 day weekend event held annually that is very social - come out and meet the neighbors, eat, listen to live music all day long, play on the playscapes, shop at local vendors. It's pretty cool -- one more reason I'm convinced we live in the best neighborhood ever. I really love this place. And, we have awesome neighbors. There are 4 houses right around ours that have kids all the same age - it's really great. Anyway, here is my limber son taking his turn down the giant inflatable slide. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "rubbernecking"!


We enrolled Faith in dance class this spring starting in January. She has been learning the basics of point and tap. I think tap is her favorite, but I'd be surprised if tap wasn't everybody's favorite at this age. Who wouldn't like to walk around making clicking sounds when you're 4? She has her very first dance recital 1 week from today. I had the privilege of watching her class perform during their 1st official dress rehearsal this past week. It's so funny, the youngest girl in the class (I'm guessing 3yrs old) did the best job. Mostly they all bounce around looking cute, watching their dance teacher for cues. Both times they did their routine, Faith barely kept up. But then when we got home, she did the entire routine by herself almost perfectly. So she has proven she knows the routine and can do it; it's the performing in front of others that is the challenge. I'm anxious to see how they all do once they're on a big stage with lights and a big audience. When she came home from her dress rehearsal, apparently Cole thought she looked pretty funny. Nutmeg, as always, gave her the sniff-down.

As you can see, my "free time" revolves around the kids. I like it that way. Yes, that means I might go a whole month without blogging :), but I have had some really great quality time with the kids. I'm really enjoying this time in our lives. Today we went out for lunch, went to the park, then painted when we got home. I just pray that all this special time leaves a mark on each of them so that they never feel the need to seek out negativity to fill any void in their lives. I hope that a strong, close family will overcome all temptations. Hopefully those temptations won't come around until they are at least teenagers, but now is the time to lay the foundation.

Aside from being a mom, my life as a vet has been tremendously rewarding. I love my job! It is so much fun going to work these days. I've had some interesting, challenging cases over the past month, and I have learned so much. That's what is so exciting about being a vet - there is always more to learn, and work is rarely monotonous. I did have an unexpected emergency arise this past Wednesday - a very special case, indeed. I was hanging around the clinic over lunch (which I often do to catch up on medical records, lab work, phone calls, etc) when I got a call from Faith's daycare. There was an emergency: Faith was crying during naptime. When her teachers asked what was wrong, she finally admitted she had stuffed a rock WAY up her nose. So they called me. Have no fear, Vet Mom was on the way! I stuffed a pair of alligator forceps, hemostats and ophthalmoscope (for light) into my pocket and arrived on the scene within 5 minutes. Immediately I could tell which nostril the rock was lodged in - it was quite noticeably larger than the other. I took Faith to a secluded area of the facility so she wasn't embarrassed in front of all her classmates. I spent the next 10 minutes convincing her that nothing I stuck up her nose was going to hurt. She finally relaxed and let me go fishing. The rock was actually too big to grab with the alligator forceps, so out came the hemostats. On the 2nd try, a pretty decent sized rock was retrieved from her right nostril. If I remember correctly, her first words were, "Wow, that rock has a lot of snot on it." Mission accomplished. Thank you very much - it's all in a day's work!
posted by Joey at 9:15 PM

3 Comments:

wow...I can't get over how fast James is growing up. Actually, I can't get over how they all are growing up. Faith looks very cute in her little dress. I hope you get a video of her dance recital. I love to watch the little ones doing things like this. I am glad you had a chance to update.

12:53 AM  

Your kids are great. We really enjoyed spending the day at Rain Creek with them. I especially loved snuggling baby James, he is growing up so fast and he is such a great baby! I think Cole has special affection for "Fafe" :-)

9:29 AM  

What a whopper of a post! I guess you had a lot to say. Poor Cole and the weird positions you photograph him in!!!! I had not heard about the rock up Cole's nose - very similar to the plastic BB up Colin's nose that Daddy Maguyver got out with a pen (remember that, from the last strategic planning session?).

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home