Supermom Chronicles

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A Little Taste 'O Spring

The weather was just fantastic today. The high barely reached 80 degrees...in the first week of FEBRUARY!! As long as I can remember, February seemed to always bring the coldest temps of the year. It seems like the few times we got snow/sleet/frost growing up was always during the month of February. Today, though, it felt like spring had sprung.

We spent a lot of the day outdoors with the kids. The spring-like weather got us dreaming about landscaping...flowers and trees and water features, oh my! We couldn't resist, so we started measuring and marking the backyard. By 10am we were at a great nursery in southwest Austin, It's About Thyme, and found all we wanted and more. They have a fantastic selection. Kurt, the guy that helped us, just happened to be the expert there in water features. That is a particular weakness for John & I. He showed us several of his creations. He said he also holds classes once monthly for the do-it-yourselfers, which probably includes us. We would like to do a lot of our own labor, but coordinating around the schedule of 3 little ones is the big challenge. Anyway, we purchased 3 trees: a Monterey Oak (fast growing shade tree for the southwest side of our house), a Shantung maple and a 4-in-1 apple tree, both for the backyard. The apple tree is actually 4 species of apples grafted together, each with 1-2 branches that will produce each variety...I can't wait!! Kurt got me so excited about fruit trees that I think we're going to add peach and plum trees to the lineup. John is going tomorrow to pick them all up. Unfortunately, I have to work the rest of the week. John is going to try to have them all in the ground by the time I get home tomorrow.

Now that we've started on trees, I can't help but start dreaming about the stone pathway, the water features, the flower garden in the back corner....
posted by Joey at 7:54 PM

2 Comments:

Patience, grasshopper. Home landscaping moves slowly when you DIY and chase kids all weekend. It is fun and rewarding though, isn't it? I can't wait until the "digging pit" becomes a pond. At least we have a stone walkway now! We have a 4 in one Asian pear tree that produced a lot of fruit the first year we put it in. We love it. Also, we have a Meyer Lemon Tree, a pecan, and now 2 peach trees. Remind me to tell you about all the peaches we've gotten (not).

I can't believe you posted twice in 2 days!!! Keep it up!

8:55 PM  

I am happy to see that you posted again. I love spring and gardening as well. I am hoping I will have some time to put in plants in our backyard- we'll see.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home