Supermom Chronicles

Monday, October 30, 2006

Busy days (and nights)!

It's been something like 2 weeks since my last post. I have seriously tried every day since then to post again. I take the computer over to the table, open it, and as soon as I start up the internet, something happens. Somebody needs to be fed, somebody has poopy pants, or somebody has marker (washable, thank goodness) all over their face, hands, legs, tabletop, wall, and oh yes, a little on the paper in front of them.





For the most part in these early newborn days, this is what James spends a lot of his time doing...






Here's another pose...










And another...he likes to stretch out after getting a full belly. Must feel good after 9 months of being wadded up in a ball...

Of course, we spend about 6-8 hours a day nursing. I'm getting ok sleep at night in spurts of 1.5 hours at a time. Things are going pretty good, though. It seems like it was harder with Cole. Maybe I feel more at peace, more settled in life this time. Or maybe it's because James is an easier baby (Cole was pretty colicky). Or maybe I'm trying to savor every moment knowing that this is the last time we will have a newborn to care for. I really DO NOT want James to grow up at all. I want to freeze him just the way he is (though "sleeping through the night" John adds). I am really enjoying mommyhood this time. I was so busy with vet school soon after Faith was born. Then life was hectic and unsettled when Cole was born. I feel like this time things are perfect. I'm really glad I've taken 3 months for maternity leave. I will return to the clinic Jan. 15.


The day I had been dreadfully terrified of for the past 9 months finally came and went...John returned to work when James was 1 week old. So I found myself in new territory alone at home as a mother of 3 kids 4 years old and younger. I was really scared of how to handle this new lifestyle, but I have to say that it's not so bad (so far). In fact, I've really enjoyed it. The days run pretty smooth, for the most part. We now run our lives on more of a schedule than ever before (I'm a new fan of meal planning a week in advance). A decent schedule=happy days=Mommy's sanity is intact. Thankfully, the kids are pretty understanding and well behaved when I have to nurse or spend time with James. This playset we bought from Craig's List 2 weeks before James was born has been a Godsend. John beefed it up, gave it a fresh coat of paint, and the kids have spent HOURS on it ever since.

My sister also thought to bring PlayDoh for the kids when she came for James' birth. This has also been a lifesaver. It's a bit messy (notice Cole likes to make 10 million little balls with his), but it keeps everybody happy and quiet while I nurse. While James sleeps, I try to include the kids in the happenings of the house. They both like to help out. Faith has been helping me cook, and surprisingly, Cole likes to help me clean. A couple of days ago, of his own volition, he picked up a washcloth and wiped down his table and the cabinet fronts in the kitchen.

So for now, all is well. I am happy. The kids are happy. There is peace in our world. I'll be busy the next couple of days mostly cooking. A couple of our neighbors had babies over the past 4 days, so I'm making meals for them (they did the same for us). We're having family over on Wednesday for Cole's birthday dinner. I'll try not to wait another 2 weeks to post again:)
posted by Joey at 3:50 PM

5 Comments:

Well, that post was worth the wait! I'm sure its hectic but I'm glad its good.

I remember how worried I was when I was left alone the first time with my two, specifically how was I going to get Anna to sleep by myself while I had the baby?!? I imagine the fears are worse with two, but of course you are such a pro now.

James is such an angel. I love his pictures, and he already looks so different than at birth. Enjoy your time off, but know that at the last staff meeting, when they said you were coming back Jan 15th, everyone shouted, "Hooray!"

9:08 PM  

THANKS for the pictures and update. I am glad to hear things are going well.

11:05 PM  

Ooh, how I miss the sleeping "lump" stage, sometimes. I thought of you Saturday when I had Anna, Collin, and Cole for four hours. Buckling three kids in and out of three car seats shoved together in the backseat was a work-out in itself :-)

7:48 AM  

Hey Joey, I know I live right by you and talk to you but I love reading your blogs. You do such a good job of telling about ya'lls lives. See you tonight!!!

Jessie

2:28 PM  

WOW, Faith and Cole have grown a lot since I babysat them! Phew, Good job being a mom! I can't even imagine going to school and having a newborn. Mad props Dr. 47!

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home